Friday, November 20, 2009

Perspective

I went to a wedding reception tonight. The bride is 27 and the groom 23. They did a program at the start of the reception which included a slide show about their life. The bride said that she had cried many tears wondering if she would ever meet "prince charming." PLEASE!! She is only 27. If she was almost 42, then I may have had some sympathy for her. I guess it is all about perspective. In the big scheme of things-- 27 is so young! Her comment reminded me of my students who come to my office and wonder what they are going to do with their life because they are in their early 20s, graduating from college, and they are not married. What ever happened to having a plan for your life and following that plan, and in the process being open to the Lord's guiding hand? That sounds like a reasonable approach. What do you think?

Life is Good!

3 comments:

runningfan said...

I have this discussion with a particular friend all the time. I say it's good to have a plan, a direction, a focus. She says to throw out the plan because having a plan invites disappointment and heartache when the plan doesn't work out! Somewhere there's got to be a balance between choosing a path and walking by faith, don't you think?

Good luck with the talk on Sunday! I'd love to hear it.

Rosemary T said...

Interesting point of view.
I agree that when you have no expectations (especially of people) then you are not disappointed.
The Lord tells us that we should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and that it is not necessary for us to be commanded in all things. I think that we can be guided by the Spirit if we moving in some direction, down some path. We will be guided to know if we are going to wrong direction. But I don't think the Lord will tell us every step to take. We have our agency to make choices, and the Lord won't take that agency away from us.

Mike said...

I think this sounds like a good topic for a Devotional... If the opportunity to speak in one were to ever came your way :)
I think plans have to be flexible too! We should put our heart into life, but we shouldn't be too rigid about where a path can and cannot take us. I'm sure Nephi had a plan for getting the brass plates the second time. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was not the one that the Spirit of the Lord lead him to in the end.
I thought I was going to U of Oregon, TTU was never even on my radar until the day I showed up for interviews... Then I knew it was where I needed to go.