Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter 2009

Happy Easter!

As I was making last minute Easter preparations last night I started thinking about Easter as a young child growing up. My mom always made us a new Easter dress. We got to "go to town" and buy a new pair of white sandals. The Easter Bunny didn't bring just candy, but something practical, and usually food that wasn't just sweets. Mom and Dad were great candy makers-- from molded chocolates to nougat and marshmallow eggs.

We lived down a long lane. After church, we would get dropped off, with Uncle Bill and Aunt Elsie's kids, at the white bridge. We would saunter our way home-- taking long enough for Mom and Dad to hide the eggs. Our cousins got to hunt for not only eggs, but their whole Easter basket. We always thought that would be fun, but we never got to do that. The funniest thing at our house was Dad forgetting where he hid all the eggs and us not finding them until later that summer. That has been a standing joke in our family.

I guess all the holiday festivities have rubbed off on me. Today I had Katelyn, Mike, Daylin, Jill, Tracy, Jessica, Kyle, and Christie over for dinner. I made ham, rice, pound cake, key lime pie, and sugar cookies. The others brought jell-o trifle, potatoes, broccoli salad, deviled eggs, rolls (way to go Christie for homemade rolls), and slush. It was all so yummy. We had so much food we didn't even go for second helpings.

I made everyone a little Easter bag with treats. They were really cute bags that matched the plates. Too bad I forgot to take a picture. I'm glad all the holiday candy is now gone from my house. Now if the pound cake was gone too.

And the cousins were all so sweet. They gave me a Easter gift too-- a book about Boston and a gift card to Barnes and Noble-- my favorite bookstore; a place I go when I have a couple of hours to burn in an afternoon! Thanks all! Now I can start planning my Boston trip!

Finally, this Easter season I am so grateful for Jesus Christ. I know He lived upon the earth; He atoned for our sins, weaknesses, shortcomings, heartaches, sorrows, challenges, and more; and He was resurrected on the third day. Because of Him we can all return to God to live eternally. The Gospel of Jesus Christ really is the Good News!

Life is Good.

No comments: