Today I went to breakfast with my four students who have worked with me this semester on promoting public health (see earlier post on Tender Mercies). We ate at Magelby’s Fresh. This is the best place for pancakes or french toast with buttermilk syrup. YUM!
It was so fun to be in a more informal, relaxed setting with the students. I enjoyed getting to know more about them, their families, their past and their futures. It was a bitter-sweet moment. The best part about being at the university is working with students. Yet I find that in the busyness of the semester, being overwhelmed with too many responsibilities and not enough hours in the day or the week, I haven't spent enough time really getting to know my students. I wish I had gone to breakfast with the students earlier in the semester. Or taken more time at our weekly meetings to find out how they were doing and what was going on in their lives.
Over the last nine years I have kept in touch with a handful of my students and still hear from them on occasion, some more than others, even going to lunch or dinner. Their friendships are priceless. There is Brenda in Boston; AnnaLee in Australia; Bryn, flying somewhere across the US; Carrie in Philly; Rilla here; Libby in SLC; Nikki in Georgia; Travis in Russia. Maybe I'll re-connect with more now that I've joined the Facebook generation.
Today reminded me that I need to do things differently-- to take more time on the things that matter most. And usually the things that matter most involve people.
Life is Good.
No comments:
Post a Comment