Today I went to Gary's funeral. It was also Patsy's funeral in Atlanta. These two events have caused me to reflect, once again, on what is most important in life. I came to the conclusion that one of the most important things is how we treat others.
What people loved about Gary was that he was so kind, always willing to listen, willing to go the second mile to help you; he was happy and always had a smile on his face. That's what I liked about him too. What I loved about Patsy is that she was so kind to me, both before I moved to Atlanta and while I lived there.
It makes me wonder what people will say about me when I die. I am certain that it will have nothing to do with the number of publications on my vitae, the presentations I've made, or any other professional accomplishments.
It is so easy to get caught up in the busyness of life and not take time for people. Sometimes the phone call, the knock at the door, or the email seems like an inconvenience. But in the end, being nice to people is really what it is all about. Do we treat others like we would want to be treated? It's the golden rule. It's living a Christ-like life.
1 comment:
Thanks Dr. T! This is really what I needed to hear... and reflect on as well. Your kindness (among your other many talents) will always stick with me. Good luck on the devotional today... I'll be watching.
Post a Comment