Monday, December 21, 2009

My Destiny


In the movie, Forrest Gump, Forrest asks his mother, "Mamma, what is my destiny?"

Yesterday I was sustained as the Relief Society President in our ward (a ward is a congregation of church members). All women age 18 and older are members of the Relief Society. For our ward that is about 120 women. In the last 23 years I have served in seven different presidencies- three times in college and four since then. This is opportunity number eight. I think that MY destiny is to serve in Relief Society.

I love Relief Society. I think the love started in college. In my Relief Society service I was mentored by women who had years of experience. They knew and understood what Relief Society was all about.

When the Relief Society was organized on March 17, 1842, the Prophet Joseph Smith taught that the Relief Society was organized for “the relief of the poor, the destitute, the widow and the orphan” and that the Relief Society was “not only to relieve the poor, but to save souls.” In the last 168 years, our purpose is the same. Julie B. Beck, General Relief Society President, reiterated in September 2009 that the purpose of Relief Society is to prepare the sisters for eternal life by helping them: 1) increase faith and personal righteousness, 2) strengthen home and family, 3) serve the Lord and His children.

I am overwhelmed and honored with this opportunity to serve the Lord. I know God lives. I know Jesus Christ, whose birth we celebrate this season, also lives. And I choose to serve in Relief Society because I love them. As King Benjamin said in the Book of Mormon, "When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service if your God."

Merry Christmas! Life is Good.

2 comments:

runningfan said...

You have so much to offer the women of your ward! They are lucky!!

MaryAnne said...

Congratulations! You will do a fantastic job with this new assignment!