Sunday, October 4, 2009

October

The first weekend in October is always a bitter-sweet time. I absolutely love listening to General Conference. I am always inspired and uplifted. In yesterday's morning session I loved every single talk that was given-- not that all the talks on both Saturday and Sunday aren't good, but these I thought were especially good.

Six years ago this weekend, a series of events began that I will never forget. I can hardly talk about them without crying. We had gathered at my parents house for General Conference. My sister had been concerned about her son for a number of days, not quite sure what was wrong, and the doctors unable to diagnose anything other than "separation anxiety" since he had started kindergarten.

As we sat at the dinner table Mr. J didn't have much of an appetite, he had this far away look in his eyes, and he was unusually lethargic. Later I asked him if he wanted to go to the school playground and play on the swings and other equipment there. "No." he said. I could usually always get him to go play with me. When I asked him "why" he replied that he didn't know, but he just didn't feel like it. That afternoon my sister, my mom and I sat in the living room and cried. We all knew that something was wrong with Mr. J.

As I drove home Sunday night I was listening to radio interview with Michael Ballam. The thought came to me that I either believed in God and that He heard and answered my prayers or I didn't. I have never prayed so hard for anything, before or since, as I did for Mr. J during the next few weeks.



Monday morning began a series of miracles and challenges that lasted for days, weeks, months, and now years. Two major surgeries, two years of chemo, and on-going MRIs. Thinking about the miracles still gives me chills. The right doctors in the right places at the right times. Our family has been truly blessed.

Today Mr. J is a healthy and happy young man. Everybody, including teachers at school, love him. He is kind, thoughtful, and considerate.



Though this is an experience we wouldn't have chosen, it is one of those experiences that has strengthened my testimony that God lives, that He hears and answers our prayers, and that as Elder Neal A. Maxwell stated, "He is in the details of our life."

Life is So Good.

1 comment:

runningfan said...

What a great story! Do you have the reference for that Neal A Maxwell quote? I've heard it often and love it!