One of my colleagues ran the St. George marathon last weekend. I asked him how he did. His reply was that he was within 20 seconds of his previous times. (I still don't get the thrill of running 26.2 miles on more than one occasion.) Nevertheless, he went on to explain that he had even followed the training schedule of the man that won with a time of about 2:20.
As I listened to him, I realized that life is often like his marathon experience. We are each on this journey of life. We notice others doing certain things that appear to be working pretty well. We decide that maybe if it works for them, then it should work for us too-- so we adopt their lifestyle, or at last adapt ours to mirror theirs.
But the reality is, we are all unique individuals. What works for one individual or family doesn't necessarily work for another. For example, some parents may choose to have their children wear their church clothes all day Sunday in an effort to remind them that the Sabbath day is a holy day. In my family that didn't work. We didn't have a lot of money when I was young. My mom's philosophy was that she wanted us to keep our Sunday clothes clean, looking nice, and lasting as long as possible. So in our family as soon as we got home from church we had to change out of our Sunday clothes.
Does that mean I don't keep the Sabbath day holy today. No. I just choose to do it in more comfortable clothes and I think that is okay. In the end, we are all going to face the judgment seat and the Lord won't care how fast we ran or what our training schedule was as long as we return home to Him having developed Christ-like qualities. That is the real test.
Life is Good.
No comments:
Post a Comment