Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Martin's Cove... Then and Now....


On Sunday I had an early morning meeting. I love to be outside early in the morning, especially after newly fallen snow-- everything seems so quiet and peaceful. When it is cold and snowy out, as it was on Sunday, my mind turns to the pioneers who crossed the plains in search of peace from religious persecution. The Martin and Willie Handcart Companies were stuck on the plains of Wyoming, in a place now called Martin's Cove, when an early winter storm hit. On Sunday I was reminded of this personal experience...

A few years ago I went with the youth to Martin's Cove and participated in a pioneer trek. We planned for months. I spent a lot of time thinking about and reading about the pioneers. I wondered why they had to suffer so much. The Lord could have tempered the elements. The supplies from SLC could have arrived earlier. Many of them died, having seen the promises “afar off.” They, or their children, or spouse, never made it to the Salt Lake Valley.

The day finally arrived and we traveled to Martin’s Cove. Everyone dressed in pioneer clothing and we walked seven miles to our campground. The wind picked up, the dust flew, and the rain started. It was not pleasant circumstances. But the weather soon changed.

About 4 a.m. I awoke with terrible stomach pains. I, along with other stake leaders had developed food poisoning from the evening dinner. In the early morning hours as I walked and sat near the restrooms facilities (ie., port-a-poty) I prayed to Heavenly Father. I knew that in this condition there was no way I would be able to walk to Dan Jone’s Cove that next morning. I told Him that we had worked so hard and I really wanted to have this experience with the youth. Through the miracles of priesthood blessings and modern medicine by 11 a.m. I was able to meet the youth at Dan Jones’ cove and then walk back to the campground.

As I stood at Dan Jones’ cove and pondered once again, why the pioneers had to suffer, the spirit whispered to me that just as the Lord had been mindful of me that day, he had been mindful of the pioneers. He had not abandoned them and left them to suffer alone.

This picture of the handcart girl is hanging in my bedroom. Recently, my dad asked me if the picture is of me. I told him that it reminds me of Martin's Cove, and yes, sometimes I feel like I am that person...steadily climbing the hills of life and sometimes it feels like I am doing it all alone. Yet I know God is watching over me as He did the pioneers.

The artist wrote of this painting: "This image depicts a 13-year-old girl who was part of the Willie Handcart Company that journeyed to Utah in 1856. In her face you see the blend of fortitude, conviction, and determination while you feel the biting cold, physical fatigue, and loneliness that she must have known so well. You sense a maturity of spirit and willingness to move forward despite overwhelming obstacles. As she came up over the hill, looking for the last hill, she yet saw more hills and more snowy miles to go. With her foundation of faith, she valiantly defied the odds of survival as she endured this trial of hope."

Life is Good!

1 comment:

Athack77 said...

I appreciate your post. We are so blessed and it's easy to forget how much we have. I can't imagine how desprate the handcart companies were. I hope to get to go on a trek sometime too; I'd love your kind of experence. (everything but food poisioning)