Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Love Life As It Is...

My sister sent me this quote: "Love Life As It Is...Not As You Want It."

Today I met with a student regarding her internship. I asked her what her dream job was (something I ask all students). She said she didn't know. And then she hesitated and appeared half embarrassed to admit that, well, she was 24 and not married. She might want to do "A" but then that is a two year commitment. Or maybe "B" but that is another two years. She just didn't know what she wanted to do. I finally said-- I am 40 and single. You have to live life. Life is good. You have to keep going and things will work out. I don't think she was convinced.

I am always amazed that there are women who get to the end of their college education and suddenly realize that they have to make decisions about their life and up to that point they have never considered what the answers might be. They thought they would come to college, get married and not have to think about work, a career, or any plans post college other than husband and children.

I guess for me this mindset it is somewhat strange. I never waited around to get married. If I had, I would have missed out on so many incredible opportunities. I would have missed meeting so many people who have influenced my life for good. Perhaps that is a post for another day. Anyway, I always planned to go to college, get a master's degree and work, at least for awhile. I was 29 when I realized that if I was going to work for the rest of my life, I wanted to do something I loved and could support myself. Hence, the PhD.

So for all you women out there.. married or single. "Love Life As It Is...Not As You Want It."
Life is Good! So Good!

2 comments:

greysquirrelb said...

Amen! Thanks for this one. Just what I needed :)

runningfan said...

Ah, I was one of those dumb students who didn't have a long term plan (in case you didn't pick up on that when we worked together, but I bet you did). I still regret it. But I've tried to adopt the mindset, along with the recent conference advice: "Come what may, and love it!"