Following Heidi's recent post, after class today, I feel the need to write a letter to my students:
Dear Student,
You are not endearing yourself to people who can help you succeed in school and in a career. Do you realize that faculty members can really help you go places? Just ask a student who got hired today.
Remember at the start of the semester when I talked about using computers and cell phones in class? If we are having a class discussion, your eyes should be focused toward the front of the classroom or on someone who is making a comment. Staring at your computer screen and using you index finger for a mouse tells me that you are not engaged in our class discussion.
I can also tell when you are texting during class. I know you are trying to be discrete, but it isn't working. The next time you come up to me while doing an assignment to ask a question, I just might say something like, "maybe if you were listening instead of texting you might understand the assignment."
Lastly, I cannot talk over multiple conversations. When I am talking, please be quiet and don't talk to your neighbor. Isn't this a common courtesy you learned in elementary school? And please don't send me an annoyed look with daggers in your eyes that says "how dare you interrupt our conversation" when I tell you I cannot talk over you.
If you want to start endearing yourself to me, stop doing these things!
Dr. T.
2 comments:
Great post! Sorry about the crazy student. I think "Letters to a Student" should be a recurring feature! I'm sure they would be highly entertaining....at least for me.
Rosemary,
I had a foreign professor that called students out on such behavior; there was a dramatic decrease in cell phone and laptop usage. Instead of dismissing singled-out talkers, he'd question them and not continue the lecture until they acknowledged what they were discussing.
-Kelly
Post a Comment