I awoke this morning to this:
According to the calendar, spring arrived around March 20th. Yet, I've not experienced much spring weather so far. However, I know from past history that there is a promise of warmer, sunny days ahead. I am grateful to know that winter will not last forever, even though on days like today it may not seem like it.
Perhaps this morning's weather has some symbolism for Easter. At times in our life we may feel like we are stuck in the winter season with cold and dreary days. We can't imagine that there are warmer, more sunny, happy days ahead. However the reality is that because of Jesus Christ's atonement in the Garden of Gethsemane and His resurrection on the third day, we have hope that there are better days ahead.
Christ's atonement enables us to overcome not only sin, but it makes up for our weaknesses and shortcomings; Christ can heal our hearts, take away the pain and sorrow. As it says in the Book of Mormon, "And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."
I find it interesting that we celebrate Christ's birth for nearly a month each year. Yet Easter seems to come and go with hardly a mention of His name. One of the most beautiful messages, in addition to the birth of Christ, is that after He was crucified on the cross Christ was resurrected. What this means for us is that this life is not the end. We too will be resurrected, our spirit and body reunited, never to be separated. We will have the opportunity to live with God eternally. What a glorious promise to look forward to. This knowledge gives me HOPE in the winters of my life.
Life is Good.

1 comment:
I love your analogy of being stuck -- I used that in a lesson I taught last week in RS. Satan would have us believe there's no way out, that things will never change, that better things are impossible. But Christ invites change, enables change, and requires change. I'll think of that next time it snows and I'd rather see tulips!
Post a Comment