Monday, July 20, 2009

Boston Duck Tour

Several years ago I was in Boston at a professional conference. One day my colleagues and I saw the Boston Duck Tour vehicles. One of my friends suggested that the vehicle operated on both land and water. I did not believe him and thought he was imagining things (from a distance I didn't notice the writing on the boat).
We'll when planning our trip to Boston, I discovered that one of the "must-do" things was to take a Boston Duck Tour. And in fact, it does go on land and water. It gives you a tour of the city and a ride on the Charles River.

We went on a very drizzling, raining, overcast day, but it didn't dampen our spirits. We had a great tour guide named "Super Size." He was dressed as some imaginary super hero.

I have been on quite a few city tours and this was by far the best tour guide ever. He was truly amazing. He had Ms. L and I laughing the whole time. Every time he said "super size" we had to respond with "Quack Quack." Of course, this was when there were several pedestrians nearby. Some of the things he said reminded me of my brother- Ms. L's dad. Later, as we saw other Duck Tours, we noticed that the passengers did not seem to be having quite as much fun as us.

Once we got on the Charles River, Super Size said that union rules required him to take a break. So he asked Ms. L ("you with the white headband") to come up and take a turn driving the Duck Boat. She did very well!
I typically don't buy the photos they take of you, but this one was too cute to pass up. It was supposed to be in front of the boat, but as you can see, we are sitting under the shelter keeping dry from the rain until it was time to board.

The whole tour was definitely worth the cost. If you go to Boston, do the Duck Tour. But make sure to book your tickets early-- they often sell out.

1 comment:

calauramom said...

Perhaps we should call the Duck Tour people and tell them how fabulous Super Size was. :) Did you ever call Enterprise to complain about their bad/misleading info? I think you definitely should!