In preparation to move to a different office down the hall, I have started cleaning out my files. This fall it will be 10 years since I started at BYU. I've collected a lot of papers in that time; others I brought with me from the department of health. As I put paper after paper in the recycle bin, I started thinking about what is really important in life. How many journal articles that I write will eventually end up in someone's recycle bin?
I was reminded of a quote by Neal A. Maxwell that is so apropos:
"What finally matters, brothers and sisters, is what we have become. There will be no puffed vitas circulating in the next world. They stay here--in the files. What we will take with us--to the degree we have developed them-- will be the cardinal qualities that Jesus has perfected; these are eternal and portable."
Two notes I received this week reminded me of what is really most important-- people. Both notes relate to family. One is from my niece, the other from one of my guests from Mother's Day dinner.
1. YAH!!! I am counting down, as of May 12,2009, we have 47 days until our trip!!!! I have a calendar in my room and I rip off a day every morning…..Thanks for taking me on this trip!
2. I wanted to thank you for being such a great second mother to me while I'm away at school...I know that sometimes you wish you could be off in Atlanta or some other exotic location, but I'm grateful you're still in Utah...
Yes, sometimes I do wish I was in Atlanta or some exotic location. But all in all, I am so blessed and acknowledge the Lord's hand in my life. And being able to be around family both immediate and extended is one of the greatest blessings of all. And I am blessed to associate with such wonderful people at work, including colleagues and students. The best part of the university is getting to know the students, not the journal articles I write that will one day end in the recycle bin.
Life is Good!
No comments:
Post a Comment