Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Sabbath

As this is the Sabbath day, I thought I'd share an insight I had recently. In my personal scripture study I was reading in the Old Testament about the Children of Israel and the Sabbath day. I have always believed that the Sabbath was a day to rest from our labors (Exodus 20:9-10). For those who are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, where we are very active members of our congregations, a day of rest may seem impossible. We do rest from our temporal labors and the focus of our labor becomes spiritual or holy.

Recently during my scripture study I read the following in Exodus 31:13, "...Verily my Sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; they ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you."

Now as I approach each Sunday, I remind myself that it is the Lord that sanctifies me. Approaching the Sabbath with this perspective has changed how I view the day. It is not just a day to rest from my temporal labors, but a chance to focus on the Savior, the atonement, and His power to sanctify me and to one day make me holy.

Life is Good.

1 comment:

runningfan said...

Have you read "The Holy Secret" by James Ferrell? He explores this topic, which opened a whole new train of thought for me.