When I first started this blog it was to share my pictures from Italy (my favorite Cinque Terre view to the right). I decided to keep posting, with a goal that each week I would have something non-work related and interesting going on in my life. Well, the last few weeks my life has been consumed with work and I've had nothing exciting (or semi-exciting) to share. When you are single, it is really easy for work to become your life. No one is waiting for you to come home at night. On Saturday the time is yours-- no kids soccer games or a husband wanting you to do something. And who cares if the carpet doesn't get vacuumed for another day or two. You spend a few hours, or the whole day, at the office.
But the thing is, getting so out of balance isn't a good thing. This morning during scriptures reading I read the following: "Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy." (See 2 Nephi 9:51 and Isaiah 55:2). Spending excess time on things that matter less (in the big scheme of eternal things) really doesn't satisfy.
To help me regain perspective I think of this quote by Neal A. Maxwell: "Someday when we look back on mortality, we will see that so many of the things that seemed to matter so much at the moment will be seen not to have mattered at all. And the eternal things will be seen to have mattered even more than the faithful of the Saints imagined."
My goal this week is to regain balance and focus on things that matter most.
Life Is Good.
1 comment:
Ah, just the Maxwell quote I needed today. I love your perspective and how positive you are!
Post a Comment