Today my friends Garth and Marci helped me pull out some evergreen fitzer bushes. I’ve wanted to do this since I moved here six years ago. It took the three of us about 1 ½ hours with a heavy chain, an old blue truck that is kept around for days like today, and lots of physical labor. My arms are red with scratches. I may not be able to get out of bed tomorrow. Whew. (Pre and post-removal pictures to the left). The thought has crossed my mind that maybe this is why my ancestors died so young—too much physical labor. It’s definitely not for wimps!
On days like today, and other days when I feel like my life is hard, I think about my pioneer ancestors. I think of their challenges and conclude that they were strong women. I like to think that I have inherited some of their strength and I can do hard things too. It gives me courage.
My great-grandmother Sarah Jane Porter was born in 1865. She was married when she was 17 years of age. Her husband was 48. His first wife had died nine years earlier, and left him to raise six children. Sarah Jane gave birth to 10 children. The tenth child was my grandmother.
Sarah Jane experienced much grief in her life. Four of Sarah Jane’s daughters died: ages 1 month, 14, 19 and 37. Sarah Jane’s husband died after 21 years of marriage when Sarah Jane was 38. Sarah Jane was very hard working, and had integrity. She had a farm and rented it out until her son was old enough to run it himself;she made butter and took it to the butcher (people requested her butter); sold raspberries-10 cents/quart; and took some apples to a local fruit stand and the money she made paid the taxes on the farm that year. She was also very generous and fed everyone that came to their house. Her philosophy was “I have always had enough food for us and some to spare, and the Lord blesses me for it.” She was also very spiritual. She prayed with her children every morning and listened to promptings of the Spirit.
I wish I knew more about her faith. How did she endure those long hard days? Raising a family alone. Trying to have enough money to get by. Physical labor. Wow. I am so blessed. Now, what do I do with this new empty space. I am simplifying the yard. Marci suggested a boat. Hum... if I had one.
No comments:
Post a Comment